I was tagged by the lovely Allison on Instagram (follow her here) to share 20 things you may or may not know about me. She composed a blog post for hers, and now I’m stealing her idea. Also, I’m new to the world of blogging, so I thought this was a good way for new readers to get to know me.
1. I’m getting married this July to an amazing, intelligent, hilarious man. He keeps me grounded and helps me stay sane (most days).
2. We have a super cute Boston Terrier named Boomer.
3. I’ve been teaching English Language Arts to 9th- and 10th- graders for five years, and I love it. My job is challenging, but it’s also rewarding. Every day is different, and this job isn’t for everyone, but I love love love what I do.
4. I started participating in style challenges on Instagram about 6 months ago, because I needed to get out of my roll-out-of-bed-and-throw-on-a-dress rut. Now when I get dressed in the morning, I feel confident in my clothes. I dress better to feel better. Check out some of my style posts here, here, and here. And while we’re at it, feel free to follow me on Instagram here.
5. I garden. My grandpa gardened. My dad gardened. I am following in their footsteps. I like trying something new every year, and this year I’m planning to experiment with planting seeds in used K cups.
6. Pizza is my favorite food. I would eat pizza every day if the fiance would let me.
7. My second favorite food is ice cream. Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite flavor.
8. I’m an off-again, on-again crafter. Most of my recent crafting has been for my upcoming wedding, including putting together brooch bouquets for my bridesmaids.
9. I’m obsessed with timepieces, including this awesome necklace I bought from eBay a few months ago.
11. I’m obsessed with Kansas City. I like to visit other places, but I don’t want to live anywhere else.
12. I visit the Kansas City Zoo a lot.
13. I graduated from Northwest Missouri State University. Once a Bearcat, always a Bearcat.
14. For my spring break, I, along with 9 other chaperones, will be accompanying 80 teenagers on a college tour around Virginia, Maryland, and the Washington DC area. Check back in a couple weeks for posts about that.
15. I have one older brother named Justin.
16. I love teaching and being in the classroom every day, but I’m hoping to eventually become a librarian.
17. I worked at a library in my hometown for 7 years, and it was a great job.
18. I co-sponsor PHAAST (Park Hill African American Scholars of Tomorrow) at the school where I teach. We focus a lot on college, but the best part is when we give the students a controversial topic to discuss (Ferguson, the ‘N’ word, Black vs. African American, etc.), and I get to just listen to them sort out their feelings about these topics with each other.
19. I’m addicted to Starbucks.
20. My dream car is a Buick Enclave.
Thanks for reading!